What about the future of Java (EE) (@ Oracle)?
March 13, 2016
I don’t rate anything, I’m just throwing a few things together:
- There’s no more commercial support of Glassfish by Oracle (ok, that’s no breaking news).
- There was this rumor of lost interest last year.
- Right before JavaOne 2015 Oracle dismissed a bunch of its Java evangelists.
- At JavaOne 2015 Oracle emphasized its engagement into Cloud strategy, no engagement in Java has been shown.
- Oracle’s invest in JavaFX decreases (no more acitve development?).
- Rumors saying, that staff of Java EE departements are working now solely for WebLogic.
- Progress of Java EE 8 lacks, some projects seem to be on halt (see current copytext at this ZEEF page).
- Now one of the lead Java EE evangelists, Reza Rahman, has left Oracle.
- Oracle is still quiet, saying nothing to all these incidents.
Community is alive and brings innovation the the ecosystem.
But is that enough?
Adam Bien has recently started a Slack channel with experts from the community to discuss how to keep Java development on track and push it even further.